Saturday, July 10, 2010

Are We Still Running?

This post is taken from The Daily Spurgeon which I receive in my e-mail. It really hit me because I've been realizing lately how my passion for Jesus has been lacking from what it was at this time last year up until not very long ago. It is easy for us to be drawn away from our first love by other things when we aren't spending the time with Him that we so need to be.

Hosea 13:4-6 says, "Yet I have been the LORD your God Since the land of Egypt; And you were not to know any god except Me, For there is no savior besides Me. I cared for you in the wilderness, In the land of drought. As they had their pasture, they became satisfied, And being satisfied, their heart became proud; Therefore they forgot Me."

Ask yourself this question:
Am I so enthralled by something else or distracted or satisfied in other things so much that I have forgotten my Lord?

Charles Spurgeon "Are We Still Running?" Taken from THE DAILY SPURGEON:

Think, beloved, each one of you who are Christ’s, how much you may have backslidden of late. Have you not become lax in prayer? You maintain the habit of it, and you could not give that up, but you have not that power in prayer you once had. You still read the word, but mayhap the Scripture is not so sweet to you as it was aforetime. You come now to the communion table, you have not learned to forsake the assembling of yourselves together there; but oh, the face of the King, in his beauty, have you seen that as once you did?

Perhaps you still are doing a little for his cause, but are you doing what you once did or all you might do? Instead of going on unto perfection, is not your growth stunted? Must you not confess that you are not a runner towards heaven so much as a loiterer in the road thither? Do these accusations evoke no confessions? I fear the most of us, if we came to search, would have to say, “I do remember when the love of my espousals was upon me, and my heart was warm with love to Christ; but now, alas! how slow are my passions in moving towards him! O that I could feel once again the glow of my first love, and that my spirit did rejoice in him as on the day of my conversion.”


I want to encourage you all as well as myself to fight our fleshly desires to do anything BUT spend time with the Lord. For if we live according to the flesh we will DIE(Rom. 8:13).
Let's pray and ask God to help us to confess, turn our back on our sin, and for Him to renew our passion and desire for Him. We must pray and meditate on His Word!

"You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates."
Deuteronomy 6:6-9

"This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success."
Joshua 1:8

"But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night." Psalm 1:2



A book that I would recommend for you to read(& I plan on reading again soon) would be "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan about God's love for us and being wildly in love with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment