Monday, September 27, 2010

No Greater Love

What is love?
Ask any person this question, and they will have their own description of what love is to them.
The worldly definition of love would probably have to do with mushy gushy emotional, romantic, feelings and affections toward another.
Some may define love as a commitment.
As we read in 1 Corinthians 13, love is many different things such as patient and kind.
1 John 4 tells us that God is love.
So...how does that answer our question- what is love?

I think to know what true love is, we must look to Christ. He is love(1 Jn 4). His love for us gives us a real picture of what true love is. This also will help us to understand what true love is NOT and how we are to understand the meaning of love.

I thought about this today as I sat in my chair at work staring out my big window at the rain falling from the sky and the cars passing by. We have been singing "Through the Precious Blood" on Sunday mornings at my church for the past several weeks. It meant a lot to me yesterday and today I was really meditating on the words to this song. There was one particular phrase that I pondered for quite some time. It says, "For just one reason Christ was crucified." I thought about this...He died in obedience to our Heavenly Father and to bring glory to Him, but His death was for His bride. He died for me. He died to save me from my sins. He died for me. Why? For me, really understanding this has given me a fuller meaning to Christ's death on the cross and of His love for me. Think about it...

(I took these from some notes I had written awhile back from a Paul Washer sermon on the cross of Christ.)

When all have forsaken you, here comes the One who has your name carved on the palm of His hand!

There are people out there who will spend $40,000 for a car. That's almost a house! But I don't think there's anybody out there who will buy a car for $40,000 in order to fix it up. You don't do that. If something is wrong with your new car, you immediately take it back to the dealer and have them take care of it.

Christ spent His love to buy a bride that was ugly and that He would have to spend countless hours fixing up. Now that's love.

He buys you out of the ditch, your own filth, with His own blood with the intention of cleaning you up!

Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me.
He spilt His blood!

When He went to the cross He knew exactly what He was going to suffer.
That is love.



As I often do, I am including a song that directly relates to Christ's love. Think about Him going to the cross for you knowing what He was going to suffer and why He was suffering it.
That is real love.

Thank you my Lord Jesus!



At the Cross
by Hillsong

Oh Lord You've searched me
You know my ways
Even when I fail You
I know You love me

Your holy presence
Surrounding me
In every season
I know You love me
I know You love me

Chorus
At the cross I bow my knee
Where Your blood was shed for me
There's no greater love than this
You have overcome the grave
Your Glory fills the highest place
What can separate me now?

You go before me
You shield my way
Your hand upholds me
I know You love me

Chorus
At the cross I bow my knee
Where Your blood was shed for me
There's no greater love than this
You have overcome the grave
Your Glory fills the highest place
What can separate me now

You tore the veil
You made a way
When You said that it is done

And when the earth fades
falls from my eyes
You stand before me
I know You love me
I know You love me

Chorus

No comments:

Post a Comment