Wednesday, November 11, 2009

He spared not His own Son for me

I have been working on memorizing Romans chapter 8 at work for some time now. It is a slow process, but I have the first half of the chapter down really well. Today at work I was copying the last part of the chapter from my Bible to an index card to make it easier to look at and review while I am working. Verse 32 especially stood out to me as such an amazing verse. I just love this whole chapter and the whole book of Romans and the whole Bible for that matter :-), but listen to this verse.
Romans 8:32
"He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?"

Wow. To think about this is so precious to me. If God was able to give up His only Son whom He loved so much for me, then He must really love me. And if He gave up His only Son that I might live, He certainly isn't going to withhold anything else from me. He gives grace and more grace each and every day! If He gave up His Son, how much more has He given and will continue to give! What a promise full of hope for us in so many ways. Salvation is the greatest gift of all, but He doesn't stop there. He continues to offer forgiveness and blessings time and time again.

Thank you dear God for NOT sparing your own Son that I might be spared and that anyone who repents of their sins and believes in Jesus Christ may also have eternal life with You.

Something from Puritan pastor John Flavel:
"'He spared not His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all; how shall He not with Him freely give us all things?' (Romans 8:32). How is it imaginable that God should withhold, after this, spirituals or temporals, from His people? How shall He not call them effectually, justify them freely, sanctify them thoroughly, and glorify them eternally? How shall He not clothe them, feed them, protect and deliver them? Surely if He would not spare His own Son one stroke, one tear, one groan, one sigh, one circumstance of misery, it can never be imagined that ever He should, after this, deny or withhold from His people, for whose sakes all this was suffered, any mercies, any comforts, any privilege, spirtual or temporal, which is good for them.

Also Psalm 84:11 tells us this,
"For the Lord God is a sun and shield;
the Lord bestows favor and honor.
No good thing does he withhold
from those who walk uprightly."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this reminder Rachel! How we underestimate God's love for us! We try to confine it to human terms, but it is much too great for this.

    ReplyDelete