Thursday, November 5, 2009

When You're In Love

When you are truly in love, you go to great lengths to be with the one you love. You'll drive for hours to be together, even if it's only for a short while. You don't mind staying up late to talk. Walking in the rain is romantic, not annoying. You'll willingly spend a small fortune on the one you're crazy about. When you are apart from each other, it's painful, even miserable. He or she is all you think about; you jump at any chance to be together.

In his book "God is the Gospel" John Piper essentially asks whether we are in love with God:
The critical question for our generation- and for every generation- is this: If you could have heaven, with no sickness, and with all the friends you ever had on earth, and all the food you ever liked, and all the leisure activities you ever enjoyed, and all the natural beauties you ever saw, all the physical pleasures you ever tasted, and no human conflict or any natural disasters, could you be satisfied in heaven, if Christ was not there?

How many of you will read those words and say, "You know, I just might be okay with that"? If you are deeply in love with God, you know you could never be satisfied in heaven without Christ.

(Taken from "Crazy Love- Overwhelmed by a Relentless God" by Francis Chan)


"O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands." Psalm 63:1-4

HIS LOVE IS BETTER THAN LIFE!

3 comments:

  1. Rachel,

    this is an excellent note, its very true, we need to fall in love with Christ. For some this raises a huge question, a relationship with Christ? How? I can't see Him, feel Him, touch Him, give Him a hug and say thanks...

    I'd like to encourage you to read the book "reaching out for the invisible God" by Phillip Yancey (talk about excitement!)

    miss you all.
    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Chris!

    Miss you too! Those questions coming from a person who wants to know how to fall in love with Christ are certainly very good ones. To be honest,and I'm sure you would agree, I think seeing Him and feeling Him and touching Him are all found through reading His Word. (This is how we can have a relationship though it is very different from an earthly relationship where we actually can PHYSICALLY touch and hug and all those things.) And we also needs the grace of our Heavenly Father to give us the ability to understand His Word and to even be able to fall in love with Christ!! :-)

    I'll have to look into that book. I love to read! I think I've read another book before by Yancey- not sure which one.
    Thanks again for reading.
    ~Rach

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, Rachel! Falling in love with the Lord was such a wonderful time in my life. It was a desert the Lord took me through to show me that all I needed was Him to bring me true joy - not someone else to make me happy. I never want to lose that feeling of being so in love with Christ!! Linda K.

    ReplyDelete