Friday, November 27, 2009

That I may know Him

I want to share something from a book that I am reading right now by J.I. Packer called "Knowing God."

What were we made for? To know God. What aim should we set for ourselves in life? To know God. What is the "eternal life" that Jesus gives? Knowledge of God. "This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent." (John 17:3) What is the best thing in life, bringing more joy, delight and contentment than anything else? Knowledge of God.
"Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD who exercises lovingkindness, justice and righteousness on earth; for I delight in these things," declares the LORD."(Jeremiah 9:23.24)

And Paul says in Philippians,
"But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death."
Philippians 3:7-10

"Lord take my eyes off this world so I see You. It is my desire to truly know You and to count all else as loss that I may gain Christ!"

ONE PURE AND HOLY PASSION
Give me one pure and holy passion
Give me one magnificent obsession
Give me one glorious ambition for my life
To know and follow hard after you
To know and follow hard after you
To grow as your disciple in the truth
This world is empty, pale, and poor
Compared to knowing you my Lord
Lead me on and I will run after you

"O taste and see that the LORD is good; How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!" (Psalm 34:8)

I realize that knowing Him can only happen by spending time with Him and reading His Word and praying for help from the Holy Spirit to interpret His holy Word and draw me to Himself.
We need Him to help us know Him!

There is nothing better in this life than to know Him!

"Oh Lord, that I may know YOU..."

2 comments:

  1. God is so awesome to bring people in our lives for a season or so and than to meet again. I think of heaven that way too. This season will soon pass and we will see Jesus face to face. I really think the Lord wants us to celebrate CHRISTmas all year round. Within our homes so our faith start growing, outward to our extended family and friends. Also to those we may never know. Buying a cup of coffee for the person behind us is a token of apprectiation. Keep on keeping on in Jesus.

    ReplyDelete