Monday, March 29, 2010

God is mine, and everything is mine.

Read these passages of Scripture and then what I have posted taken from "Knowing God" by J.I. Packer. This is God's covenant promise to Abraham which is also promised to those of us who are his descendants and "heirs according to promise" through our faith in Christ Jesus.

Take time to really meditate on what this means for you personally as a child of God. Praise and thank God for all that He is and all that He promises through His Son! We have all hope in Jesus and can live a victorious life all because of Him! Behold our King!

"For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise."
Galatians 3:26-29 (Nasb.)


"Now when Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to Abram and said to him, 'I am God Almighty; Walk before Me, and be blameless.
I will establish My covenant between Me and you, And I will multiply you exceedingly.'
Abram fell on his face, and God talked with him, saying,
'As for Me, behold, My covenant is with you, And you will be the father of a multitude of nations.
No longer shall your name be called Abram, But your name shall be Abraham; For I have made you the father of a multitude of nations.
I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make nations of you, and kings will come forth from you.
I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your descendants after you.'"
Genesis 17:1-7 (Nasb.)


All Christians inherit this promise through faith in Christ. What does it mean? It contains everything. "This is the first and fundamental promise," declares Sibbes, the Puritan; indeed, it is the life and soul of all the promises." Brooks, another Puritan, opens it up as follows:

That is as if He said, "You shall have as true an interest in all My attributes for your good, as they are Mine for My own glory...My grace," saith God, "shall be yours to pardon you, and My power shall be yours to protect you, and My wisdom shall be yours to direct you, and My goodness shall be yours to relieve you, and My mercy shall be yours to supply you, and My glory shall be yours to crown you." This is a comprehensive promise, for God to be our God: it includes all. "God is mine, and everything is mine," said Luther.

No comments:

Post a Comment