Saturday, March 13, 2010

Strength lies in prayer

“He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.” - Psalm 126:6.


We must go fresh from the mercy-seat to the field of service if we would gather plenteously. Our truest strength lies in prayer. I am persuaded, brethren, that we are losing much of blessing which might come upon the church through our negligence in private supplications. I cannot pry into your prayer-closets, but I believe that in the conscience of many of you, there will be an affirmative voice to the change I lay against some of you; ye have restrained prayer before God. Your restraining of prayer, if you seek to serve God, is binding your own hands and cutting the sinews of your strength. As you could not expect to be vigorous if you denied yourselves food, so neither can you hope to be strong if you deny yourselves prayer. Get close to God, for strength flows out of him. Keep at a distance from him, and you lose all power and become weak as water. “He that goeth forth,” must mean, then, that he has stood before the mercy-seat, that he has told out the story of his wants where the blood is sprinkled, and then has gone forth in the power which prayer alone can bring from heaven to scatter his precious seed among men.
(The Daily Spurgeon)

I am currently focusing a lot on studying prayer and asking the Lord to strengthen my prayer life and to teach me to pray. It began with a cry out to God to increase my faith. I have found that my faith has grown by reading and meditating upon the Word of God, but even more so that faith thrives in the atmosphere of prayer.
God wants us to pray to show our trust in Him and dependence upon Him. I have come to see just how much prayer is a means of increasing my trust greatly in the Lord as I lean on Him, wait for Him, and watch as He answers my prayers. Prayer also has brought me into deeper fellowship with Him that I have never before experienced. I see that I have a long journey of growth ahead of me, and it's quite an exciting adventure getting to know the Lord in a way that I never thought possible for myself.
Prayer for the Lord to increase your faith is a great way to start! Then it's time we do our part in seeking the Lord, studying Scripture, and devoting ourselves to prayer.
"Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving." Colossians 4:2
The Lord longs for us to seek Him, and will enable us to do so if we desire Him and ask Him to help us and to increase our faith.
I like how Spurgeon put it, "Get close to God, for strength flows out of Him." I have experienced this(only by His grace) and know how true it is. There is nothing better in life than knowing God!

"The man who would know God must spend time with Him." A.W. Tozer

No comments:

Post a Comment